When you have braces it's very important to brush and floss after every meal in order to keep your teeth and gums healthy throughout your treatment. If you need help choosing the right toothbrush, toothpaste, and dental floss, please ask us and we can help you choose the right products for your teeth and your appliances.
After getting your braces or an adjustment, you may need to eat soft foods for a few days. You will get used to eating with braces in no time at all! However, you will need to take special care to avoid certain foods that could damage your braces and/or appliances.
Hard Foods You Should Avoid:
- Sticky foods: caramel, bubble gum, jolly ranchers
- Chewy foods: gummy bears, licorice
- Hard and Crunchy foods: popcorn, hard chips or pretzels, candy, nuts
- Ice: Don’t chew on it!
- Foods you have to bite into with your front teeth: apples, carrots, corn on the cob (you can eat these foods if you cut your apples and carrots into small bites and cut your corn off of the cob)
Soft Foods You Could Eat:
- Dairy - soft cheese, pudding, milk-based drinks
- Breads - soft tortillas, pancakes, muffins w/o nuts
- Grains - pasta, soft cooked rice
- Meats/poultry - soft cooked chicken, meatballs, lunch meats
- Seafood - tuna, salmon, crab cakes
- Vegetables - mashed potatoes, steamed spinach, beans
- Fruits - applesauce, bananas, fruit juice