Get a Head Start on a Beautiful Smile
Braces for Kids in Bowling Green, KY | Russellville KY, | Portland, TN | White House, TN
As a parent in Bowling Green, KY, Russellville, KY, Portland, TN, and White House, TN, you want the best for your child. That includes healthy teeth and a pleasing smile.
At Wiesemann Orthodontics, we'll treat your children like our own by giving them the best possible orthodontic care.
Kids Should Get an Orthodontic Check-Up By 7
Dr. Wiesemann follows the American Association of Orthodontists' recommendation that every child has an orthodontic evaluation by age seven.
Usually, your child's first permanent molars and permanent incisors have come in by then. We don't usually start treatment at this age unless severe problems exist that will cause issues as your child's teeth and jaws are growing.
Most of the time, Dr. Wiesemann will monitor the growth and development of your child and re-evaluate periodically.
He'll recommend the ideal time for your child to start treatment when needed.
What Is Early Treatment?
Early treatment may prevent more serious problems from developing and may make treatment at a later age shorter and less complicated.
In some cases, Dr. Wiesemann can achieve results that may not be possible once the face and jaws have finished growing.
Benefits of Early Orthodontic Treatment
If your child has severe problems, early diagnosis and treatment can keep them from developing more serious dental problems.
The longer these problems go unrecognized, the harder they are to treat. Dr. Wiesemann can treat many of these orthodontic problems much easier by working with younger children as they grow.
Potential benefits of early treatment include:
- Guiding the growth of the jaw
- Guiding incoming permanent teeth
- Adjusting the width of upper and lower dental arches
- Making space for permanent teeth
- Reducing the likelihood of impacted permanent teeth
- Correcting thumb sucking
- Correcting abnormal swallowing or speech problems
Choosing the Best Time for Treatment
While the age that kids get braces may vary, orthodontic treatment most often begins between 9 and 14. Some orthodontic problems are easier to correct if they're treated early.
If Dr. Wiesemann thinks your child will need treatment, he'll let you know when it will be best to begin treatment. This gives your orthodontist the best chance to:
- Guide jaw growth
- Lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
- Correct harmful oral habits
- Improve appearance and self-esteem in your child
- Guide permanent teeth into a more favorable position
- Create a more pleasing arrangement of teeth, lips and face
Signs the Bite's Not Right
It's not always easy to tell when your child may need braces or has an orthodontic problem. Even teeth that look straight may be hiding a bite problem.
These clues may indicate to Dr. Wiesemann that your child may need orthodontic attention:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty chewing or biting
- Breathing through the mouth
- Crowded, misplaced, or blocked-out teeth
- Jaws that are too far forward or back
- Biting the cheek or biting into the roof of the mouth
- Protruding teeth
- Upper and lower teeth that don't meet, or meet in an abnormal way
- An unbalanced facial appearance
- Grinding or clenching of the teeth
Learn More at Your Free Consultation
If your child has a dental issue, please contact us by setting up a free consultation at one of our four convenient offices. Dr. Wiesemann can discuss your child's orthodontic options and develop a treatment plan customized to your child's needs.